Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The images below are making email rounds; I thought I'd share them here. The presentation is a celebration of infinite expansion/progression, one exhalation of the universe's lungs.

It's difficult to make out the text in these low quality pics, but the text of the third image reads:
"Jupiter is about 1 pixel in size and Earth is invisible at this scale."
In the last:
"Sun is 1 pixel and Jupiter is invisible at this scale."
It's astonishing, in a calming, humbling kinda way.





Photo credit: thanks to a clever reader, I now know that these images come from rense.com, where you can view hi-res versions of these images.

3 comments:

roclar said...

I had some free time before a meeting, so I hit Google. Closest thing I could find to a source was from rense.com entitled The Size of Our World which has higher resolution images. The New Size of Our World has slightly spiffier graphics and adds a few larger stars. I also found this unrelated Scale of the Universe while searching interesting. We sure are tiny in the grand scheme of things.

Anonymous said...

That makes me feel physically ill. Thank you, Christopher.

Hungry Hyaena said...

Devo:

True, but I'm not sure who I'd put the money on if it were Antares versus Betelgeuse. Betelgeuse is wily. Betelgeuse! Betelgeuse! Betelgeuse!

Roclar:

Roger? Is that you? Word. Thanks for the rense.com find and the links. I'll update the page.

Andi:

Hey, babe. I warned you about drinking with me. You've got to wear your big girl pants...your Antares pants. ;)