Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Rite: Remixed



"between meaning and material (h.H.R.)," a painting I completed in 2007, has been selected and "remixed," appropriately enough, for the Metropolis Ensemble's upcoming performance of The Rite: Remixed, a reconceptualization of Igor Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring."

The Metropolis Ensemble considers Stravinsky's work "through the lens of the latest sounds and technology from electronica. Combined with the acoustic forces of a huge percussion and brass ensemble, two keyboards, two laptops, and electric bass, The Rite: Remixed will fuse a futuristic, rhythm-inspired sonic tableaux with a hyper-kinetic visual show."

On July 18, 2008, the Ensemble will perform the work in front of an expected audience of 10,000 at the Prospect Park Bandshell, as part of the Wordless Music Series and Celebrate Brooklyn. The popular noise rock act, Deerhoof, will follow.

Event details here.

5 comments:

Michael McDevitt said...

Sounds cool. I'm not sure I quite understand how your piece will be 'remixed.' Do you know or is it going to be a surprise?

Steppen Wolf said...

Great going!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Can't wait to see it -- I'll definitely be there, cuz Deerhoof is one of my favorites.

Hungry Hyaena said...

Michael:

The "remix" appears in the post. They just turned my painting into a jumble. It might be involved in some sort of animation for the event, but this is still being worked out.

Sunil:

Thank you.

Jason:

I had a feeling you'd be there. ;)

Michael McDevitt said...

Ah, yes... there it is. Ahem.
I'd like to blame the sluggish internet connection or an excess of lead in the water, but I think I just have to file that one under 'being dumb.'