Thursday, October 04, 2007

Political Compass: Where Do You Land?

I learned of the Political Compass Test a month ago, while reading Bill Gusky's ArtBlog Comments. It isn't a perfect measure of one's political positioning, but it serves as a useful litmus test.

Interestingly, as Bill points out, many art blog readers land in the lower left quadrant (economically "left" and socially libertarian). Take my score of -8.50/-6.36, for example. The test makers consider me a little left of the Dalai Lama on both axises. While I find that result somewhat surprising, I'm honored to be in such good company.

Take the test. Tell me where you are placed.


Roger said...


Michael said...

I ended up nearby...
Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82
A bit more moderate than you... or maybe less inclined to use the adverb 'strongly.'

James said...

I can't imagine that the results for will surprise anybody: I show up pretty darn close to the bottom left corner, with -8.75 "economic left/right" and -9.23 "social libertarian/authoritarian"

Hungry Hyaena said...


Made the "left" position, just barely. I'd be interested to know how you classify yourself politically speaking (apart from how the test scored you).


Yeah, the word "strongly" has something to do with it, I'm sure. I thought long about a few of my answers, but decided not to answer in the context of "things as they are," but rather aiming for "things as I would like them to be."


Wow. You put the Dalai Lama to shame!!

Multi-Media Artist said...

Mine and my 3 roomate all agreed on the same answers (after explaining our positions) Our political compass:

Economic Left/Right: -6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79

Bloggophone said...

"Mine and my 3 roomate all agreed on the same answers (after explaining our positions)"
Consensus? Sounds pretty lefty to me... ;)

bioephemera said...

-2.75, -4.26.

Barely left. But I did grow up on the border of Idaho. There, I am still considered a foaming-at-the-mouth, crazy liberal treehugger. It all depends on context. . .

Hungry Hyaena said...

Well, despite Bioephemera's close call, it seems all reader respondents are landing in the lower left quadrant.

I'm a little disappointed, actually. I was hoping I had a few readers not so easily lumped into the urban, "blue state" stereotype.

But, then again, I grew up in Virginia and own a few guns...and that didn't "show" on the compass, so perhaps I shouldn't make such assumptions.

josh said...

Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79

Miranda said...

I'm not going to help you obtain your dream "red" reader dear-e-o: Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

The test puts me a bit past Gandhi, and, well, that puts a smile on my face.